This post will be short. I’m writing this while getting some food. This is my impressions of using the Fuji XE-2 for concert photography. Particularly, the most challenging band to photograph — letlive.
I’ll post photos sometime soon. I already have some on Instagram (@mcwttrs).
This camera can really hang. Its light enough to always be on me. Usually with the 18 f/2. That lens is so fast to focus, which is good because Jason moves. Its pretty sharp and very fast. The photos look like a full frame 24-70. And I don’t mean “equivalent” focal length wise. The photos feel like they’re from a full frame sensor. Its great.
The 35 f/1.4, I’m a bit more iffy on. The focus speed on it is terrible. I opt for manual focus with it 99% of the time and miss focus or the shot for the other 1%. That said, the pictures that come out of it look great. When you get focus, it’s perfect. For slower songs (muther), this lens is great for capturing emotion. For any other band, this lens could be full time.
The battery life is enough to get through a whole set of shooting on high frame rate and then some. I’ve had to change battery when flipping through photos post show, though. I’m carrying 5. I’ve never needed more than two, but the Wasabi ones are cheap.
I’m picking up the 56 f/1.2 tomorrow, and I’ll post my impressions about some other shows with it in the future.
The best thing about this system is how easy it is to blend in backstage at concerts with it. Its not intimidating in the slightest.